top of page

Nahalat Binyamin

The Nahalat Binyamin Association of Jaffa (mainly made up of craftsmen) wanted to establish another neighborhood outside Jaffa, while the Ahuzat Bait Association settled one in 1909.


The Nahalat Binyamin Association asked to purchase part of the Ahuzat Beit Association-owned land but didn't receive funding.

Photo from the street in Tel Aviv.

In July 1910, a land of 25,000 acres was purchased. The lots in the neighborhood were smaller than those in Tel Aviv, and the houses were more modest. The neighborhood included one street parallel to Herzl Street.


During its first years, an agreement was made between the parties stating that the newly established neighborhood would receive water from Tel Aviv, connect its street to it, and share the cost of infrastructure maintenance.


In 1913, Nahalat Binyamin was annexed to the expanding city of Tel Aviv.


The name of the street is a curious and controversial issue: the founders of the neighborhood decided to call the street after the "Benjamin" who would help finance its construction. If the Jewish National Fund contributes, the street will be named after Benjamin Ze'ev Herzl. If Baron Benjamin Edmond de Rothschild helps, the neighborhood will be named after him.


Since no one helped, it was decided to name the street after Benjamin's tribe.


In Hebrew, "Nahala" means "estate" or "privately owned land", and is related to "Hitnahlut" which means "settling".


Nahalat Binyamin, the Land of Binyamin.


Source:



Commentaires


bottom of page